Pleasant Grove, UT asked in Immigration Law for Utah

Q: Can my future wife get F-2 Visa immediately after getting marry in Canada after tourist visa was refused recently?

I am citizen of European Union and have F-1 visa with OPT (started studies few weeks ago). My girlfriend tried to get tourist visa this week and it was refused. Can she go to Canada (we are eligible to visit Canada) next week with me, get marry and get the F-2 visa immediately after the marriage (I found that we can get marry in couple of days)? If yes, which arguments should we take to the visa interview (if questions would be like: why we are getting marry in Canada, not in home country; it is good that I will go to Canada just for one week to marry etc.)? My college also allows me to make a short trip to Canada.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Glendale, CA

A: Although your girlfriend can get a F2 visa after marriage it may not be immediate, depending on how many backlogs the Us embassy in Canada has. But if you do get married and apply for your girlfriend's F2 she will be eligible for F2 visa and you are correct the question might come up as to why you are marrying in Canada. I would suggest that you contact an immigration attorney to find out the reason her tourist visa was cancelled and find out if the attorney can help fix that. Many immigration attorneys including me offer FREE consultations, make use of the consultations.

All the best.

-Shan Potts

Like our facebook page for regular immigration and visa updates -

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.