Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Brent J Huff
1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Utah on
Q: I am interested in signing a 2-3 year lease. I would like to pay it in full, can that be done?

I know some states have a limit on how much advance rent a landlord can collect. Does Utah have any such rules if I wanted to pay either the full 2-3 year lease at the beginning, or pay each year in full. Are there any downsides as a renter to do that?

Brent J Huff
Brent J Huff answered on Aug 21, 2019

I would not advise it for the same reason I would not buy a ring on a first date. Landlord-Tenant relationships sometimes go south or simply must end for various reasons. Further, when landlords have money in hand, they tend to pay less attention to their obligations.

4 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Utah on
Q: Is it advisable to bring my paper to read my "testimony" off of? Or does that make for irrate judges?

This is for a second degree felony drug charge, I was offered a third degree felony and they would take off the DUI. i am shooting for a Class A misdemeanor with the DUI. I am a freelance writer, the "letter" is very proper in manner, persuasive yet honest. Court makes me nervous at times which... Read more »

Brent J Huff
Brent J Huff answered on Aug 21, 2019

If you are trying to get a better offer, it is the prosecutor rather than the Judge who you must convince. Thus, reading a letter in court is unlikely to be the best way to persuade the prosecutor. I generally advise clients to not talk, send letters, or otherwise communicate with the prosecutor... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Real Estate Law for Utah on
Q: How do i prevent someone from coming onto my property when they have been verbally instructed not to but still do.

There has been physical altercation between the individual and one of the residents as well. Despite numerous times of being told to not come onto our property or into our home the individual has continued to do so. It is the boyfriend of one of our children. Neither are residents.

Brent J Huff
Brent J Huff answered on Aug 21, 2019

It might be a good idea to send them a formal letter telling them that they are not welcome on your property and that you are "trespassing" them from the property. Of course, as long as daughter is dating this person, it may be impossible to keep them from affecting your life.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Utah on
Q: What's the statue of limitations?

I went to a grocery store in 2013 and they accused me of stealing some pens but they just said to leave and to never come back which I didn't until today so can the company still file charges even though it's been so long?

Brent J Huff
Brent J Huff answered on Aug 11, 2019

2 years for a misdemeanor. 4 for a felony. So the theft allegation from 2013 would be past the statute. However, a trespass charge could be filed for returning.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Utah on
Q: Can I get charged post fact?

I let my friend drive my car to pick me up from a party. I was extremely intoxicated. He got pulled over and had weed in the car. He claimed ownership over it and let the officer know it was his. The officer gave him a possession charge. My question is can I get charged after the fact as it was my... Read more »

Brent J Huff
Brent J Huff answered on Jan 21, 2019

Technically, yes. However, the facts as you have provided them might not create probable cause to charge you with possession. The existence of weed in your car without you, does not on it's own, meet the definition of the crime. With that said, if the prosecutor's office has reason to believe... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.