Lake Charles, LA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana

Q: How can I get out of my lease?

I signed a one year lease under the notion that I was going to have custody of my niece and nephew and that I would have BAH to cover it. Now five months later due to lawyers fees and the fact that the army doesn't recognize a notarized custody agreement but wants one from the court that requires a lawyer that I can not afford, I have to give up my niece and nephew. I am currently four months pregnant but a single soldier so I do not collect BAH by myself and my command has refused to give me an exception to policy so I need to know my options for getting out of my lease since I am unable to afford it without BAH

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Martin Louque Jr
Robert Martin Louque Jr
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Unless you informed your landlord of you reasons for getting the lease AND the landlord agreed that you could get out of the lease if it did not work (written in the lease) they you cannot get out of the lease without the landlord's consent. The only provisions I am aware of for military personnel when it comes to breaking a lease is 1) receiving PCS orders to move to another location, 2) orders to be deployed overseas, or 3) orders to live in on base housing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.