Queensbury, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant and Public Benefits for New York

Q: Are we liable for payments from our apartment that we checked over 6 months if they were paid by all parties or not?

Over the past 6 months we have had assistance from HUD to pay for our rent they have paid half and we have paid half. HUD didn't pay the correct amount for a few months and we started receiving notices. However we checked with the main office at our complex to check our balance and they said we were fine. That started 6 months ago but now we are told we owe money because of HUD not paying the full amount. Are we liable for payments after checking with HUD, Main Office and documenting our visits with the office, keeping reciepts, keeping all notices and checking our balance?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • San Jose, CA
  • Licensed in New York

A: Have a lawyer review your related lease, communications, and receipts. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.