Streamwood, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: I'm US citizen, my parents GC holder. What's quickest way to get GC for my sister-Divorced, Over 21,born India.

I'm US citizen, my parents GC holder. What's quickest way to get GC for my sister (Divorced, Over 21,born and live in India). Who should file I-130 for my sister to get GC quick, Should I file or my parents?

Thanks in advanced

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lindsay G Gray
Lindsay G Gray
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX

A: Each month the Department of State publishes a visa bulletin where you can check and see what cases they are currently processing. You will need to look and see which category you sister would fall into whether you or your parents filed for her and then check to see what the current priority date is for those petitions. However, just take note that these are the CURRENT processing times. Given that both of those preference categories take years, who knows what will happen. I generally advise my clients that if they have the money, they should file an I-130 from each person because a lot can happen in that time frame (she remarries, a parent dies, etc.) Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.