Ogden, UT asked in Family Law, Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Utah

Q: What can a parent do to defend themself against a violent teen in Utah?

I was physically attacked by my 14 yr old in front of my 3 little ones. She scratched me up and pulled out some hair before I could get away. I also scratched her in the process of getting away. As soon as I could I got the littles into a bedroom and locked the door, I called 911. When the police came I asked them to take her to a detention center for the night. They told me they did not do that unless she had comitted 2 misdomeaners. Then the cop threatened me with DCFS and the city is now charging me with child abuse. What can I do to defend myself within the perameters of the law? Also, what is the obligation, if any of the police to help me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Orem, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You need to consult with an experienced juvenile court lawyer. If DCFS opens a court case, you may be able to seek the appointment of a public parental defender.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.