Portland, CT asked in Tax Law, Municipal Law and Real Estate Law for Connecticut

Q: How do I file an appeal with the superior Court over my town's unfair assessment of my property?

The town has unfairly assessed my property; I filled out the petitiion to the board of assessment appeals as required to be given a hearing, was never given a hearing, and simply received a letter that the decision was made that my appeal would be denied. No hearing. The letter says I can appeal this decision by filing with the Superior Court within two months (timeframe ending July 7th).

1 Lawyer Answer
Sally A. Roberts
Sally A. Roberts
  • Hartford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: The time frame is jurisdictional and strictly construed. The appeals forms might be available online. I would consult an attorney in your town if you still have time so you can meet the deadline. The forms for administrative appeals are completely different that those for a civil action. For instance, there is a citation instead of a summons.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.