Vancouver, WA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Washington

Q: Can my husband get custody if his ex wife did not set up child support?

My husband pays $600 a month to his ex wife but there is not child support set up or a parenting plan. In a recent visit his oldest son said that my husbands ex uses the child support money to fund her restaurant and not on the kids. Would that count as parental neglect? His daughter (age 5) did not have underwear because the ex said she forgot to buy some. And only one child had socks . I need some advice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Burlington, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Does your husband have a copy of his dissolution decree? Child support obligations are normally addressed in the decree and its attachments. Child support is reasonably used only for supporting children, from socks and other garments to housing and food. A pattern of expenditure showing otherwise can be grounds for support modification, but must be proven. The first order of business in your case is to make sure the child is clothed, so buy the child some clothing and keep receipts. You should consult an attorney who focuses on child support issues in your area. The Clark County Bar Association may be able to provide you with a referral (

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.