Greenwood, IN asked in Adoption and Wrongful Death for Indiana

Q: My dad was killed by a drunk driver a lawsuit was filed and won. I was adopted by another man do I have rights?

Do I have any rights to the money. My mom made my dad sign over his rights to me and then left the town we were living in and had me adopted by my half sisters dad. My sister (different then the one whose dad adpoted me.)has control of the money and blows it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: You should see a lawyer. The money was to be held in trust for you.Whoever administrated the estate should have seen it was put in a bank account for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.