Indiana Wrongful Death Questions & Answers

Q: My son was overdosing, instead of taking him to the hospital the person got paranoid and drove him into another state.

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death for Indiana on
Answered on Jul 5, 2018
Camille Brooks Ibrahim's answer
Proving that he was overdosed involuntarily will be difficult. Potential criminal charges might be pressed against the assailants however, again. Depending on what the autopsy report says a wrongful death claim could be charged against the driver's car insurance.

Q: My sister passed away she,was,single n had no kids dose that make me incharge of all of her esate n what steps do i need

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death, Probate and Estate Planning for Indiana on
Answered on Jan 12, 2018
Peter Munsing's answer
Assuming no other close relatives you are entitled to petition for grant of letters of administration. It doesn't automatically make you in charge of anything. Suggest you contact a probate attorney.

Q: My ex-husband died in a car accident - am I allowed to make a wrongful death claim?

2 Answers | Asked in Wrongful Death for Indiana on
Answered on Jul 21, 2017
Peter Munsing's answer
If you are divorced, no unless you are named executor of his estate. If he had minor children by you then you may file a claim on their behalf.

Q: Is it legal in the state of indiana to shoot a dog just because you find the barking annoying? What can I do to help?

2 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Wrongful Death for Indiana on
Answered on May 16, 2017
Charles Candiano's answer
Report these people to the local police ASAP. YOU cannot do anything but report it to the police. The POLICE can and should charge the shooter AND the owner with Animal Cruelty under § 35-46-3-12. The penalty is up to one year in jail UNLESS the animal dies, then it is a FELONY with up to three years in prison.

Q: My daughter was murdered by boyfriend (& father of daughter, 4); can I sue boyfriend's mother for wrongful death?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Wrongful Death for Indiana on
Answered on Mar 15, 2017
Peter Munsing's answer
No, you can only sue the killer. However, chances are neither she nor her son have money, so you'd spend a lot of time for no result. Not to mention spending money. Do what you are doing to change the custody agreement.

Q: My kitten was killed my my roommates dog that became loose and entered my room. Is the owner responsible for vet bill?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Wrongful Death for Indiana on
Answered on Dec 21, 2016
Peter Munsing's answer
Did the dog turn the handle on the door? Did the cat let him in? Did you and your roomate have an agreement about how the dog would be restricted when owner was away.

Sounds like you put all responsibllity on her. If you let the door be opened, unlocked, dogs will be dogs, cats will be cats, dogs will retaliate.....

Q: My 20 year old son was killed by an 88 year old woman on a motorcycle

2 Answers | Asked in Wrongful Death for Indiana on
Answered on Oct 27, 2016
Paul Stanko's answer
Be sure to consult a wrongful death attorney as soon as possible. There are statutes of limitations for such cases. Also, given her age, you don't want to risk her passing away, bringing her estate into the mix.

Q: Boyfriend is killed when failure to yield driver pulls out in front of him.

3 Answers | Asked in Wrongful Death for Indiana on
Answered on Oct 24, 2016
Peter Munsing's answer
If you were on the contact forms they didn't violate HIPAA. Problem is that marriage didn't happen. For your peace of mind double check with a member of the Indiana Trial Lawyers Assn--they give free consultations. However do understand even the rights of children are circumscribed.

Q: Can a civil suit be brought in a homicide case from 1996 if it can be proven that the alleged circumstances were untrue?

2 Answers | Asked in Wrongful Death for Indiana on
Answered on Sep 16, 2016
Paul Stanko's answer
You have not provided enough information. Who would be filing suit? Also, any statute of limitations for wrongful death would have long since passed.

Q: My dad was killed by a drunk driver a lawsuit was filed and won. I was adopted by another man do I have rights?

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Wrongful Death for Indiana on
Answered on Jul 5, 2016
Peter Munsing's answer
You should see a lawyer. The money was to be held in trust for you.Whoever administrated the estate should have seen it was put in a bank account for you.

Q: My son's dad was in a vehicle crash that his friend was driving possible alcohol involved My son's dad died. Can I sue

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI, Family Law and Wrongful Death for Indiana on
Answered on Jun 23, 2016
Peter Munsing's answer
Your son has a claim. If he is over 18 he gets the lawyer. If under 18 you should contact a member of the Indiana Trial Lawyers Assn for the area where it happened--they give free consultations. There may be a claim for uninsured motorist benefits, there may be other claims.

Q: My sister died by suicide and the husband knew she was suicidal. He refused to listen to counselor involved would we

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death for Indiana on
Answered on Nov 16, 2015
Adam Studnicki's answer
Talk to a local injury lawyer asap because there are deadlines for making legal claims.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.