Baltimore, MD asked in Probate for Connecticut

Q: My father left me/sisters a will in Puerto Rico. My aunt is executor but won't provide documents. What should I do?

My dad left my sisters and I a will stating us as his sole heirs. My aunt was executor of estates in the will. She told my sister when she went to visit in Puerto Rico that she rented the house and restaurant in Jayuya, Puerto Rico and put the money in the bank account he left us to pay for the taxes. We've asked our aunt for documents for everything but to no avail. We're afraid she's been tampering with said estates. Also, when my sister visited in Puerto Rico, she said the lawyer stated my father left a safety deposit box but we all have to be present to open it. What should we do if we can't afford to go out there? And how do I get proof of bank statements, or any use of estates and assets? Also, how do I obtain documents stating everything my father left in his will?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Newtown, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: You need to consult a Puerto Rico attorney if that is where your father's estate is being probated (wrapped up in the court). This is a very specific situation that would need to be handled by someone who is in Puerto Rico.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.