Marietta, GA asked in Traffic Tickets, Insurance Defense and Car Accidents for Georgia

Q: I got into a car accident in someone else's car. What should I do?

I got into a car accident in someone else's car. I was potentially going to purchase the car from the owner but while test driving it I rear ended a car, which in turn rear ended another. I don't have a car, so I do t have car insurance. I do however have a license. The officer on the scene gave me a citation for following too closely and I have yet to be contacted by anyone or their insurances companies. The car owner says he will sell me the car in exchange that he won't sue me. What is the best course of action I can take? The car owner himself only has liability coverage and he was asking me to help pay for the damages. Would it be better for me to but his car (because he said he would put in writing he wouldn't sue me if I did) or just pay for the damages? He has increased the price he was originally asking for and I am not sure if it would be worth it because I would be buying the car plus fixing the damages as well

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: You broke it you fix it. Why wouldn't you be obligated? He gave it to you to drive, not to run into the back of someone. You want his insurance involved. His rates will go up.Either you pay to fix it plus car rental for him, or your pay for the car.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.