Los Angeles, CA asked in Wrongful Death for Hawaii

Q: my minor son will be getting a structured setement in the state of hawaii for the wrongful death of his father

we live in nevada now and im wondering if i can set up the trust here in nevada.? i have not accepted any of the proposals yet.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: That would make sense.You may want to set it up so that he doesn't get all the money by age 18, if the Court(s) will let you do that. Talk to an attorney who handles family law matters.It shouldn't be that expensive, so paying them per hour may make the most sense. Then when it's established the settlement from Hawaii can go to him.

You may have to appear for a hearing in Hawaii if the estate was opened there for purposes of litigation.

All the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.