Bronx, NY asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Land Use & Zoning and Probate for Puerto Rico

Q: Does one need a signed affidavit from a lawyer to transfer name of ownership on a burial plot when owner has died?

My grandfather bought burial plots for him and my grandmother in the 80's in Puerto Rico. My grandfather passed away 2012 in Puerto Rico. My grandmother passed away two days ago in Puerto Rico. When I went to the cemetery in PR to make arrangements for my grandmother, I was told I need a signed affidavit form a lawyer to transfer the ownership from my grandfather's name to my grandmother's name even though she passed. This doesnt make sense. Is this true?

1 Lawyer Answer
Naomi Jusino
Naomi Jusino
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Yes, is true.

In Puerto Rico, when a person passes away, if he/she didn't made a Will, the heirs will need to make a Declaration of Heirs. As the process takes time, the cemetery will require an affidavit establishing who are heirs of the person and that they authorize the use of the burial plot.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.