Ashland, KY asked in Car Accidents and Consumer Law for West Virginia

Q: I cosigned for my adult son a new car. He is now allowing his unliscensed teenage son to drive!! what can i do?

I called the bank and ask how to get my name off loan and title, My son would have to refinance, he does not qualify.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Make sure your son has adequate collision to cover the loan value of the car at all times.Point out to him it's bad for his rates and bad for the kid. Kid can get a permit then do the driving.Getting your name off a cosigned loan is tough unless you can get someone the bank will accept to sign on--and why would they when you don't want to?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.