Pittsburgh, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Summary retail theft. I reside in Mercer County PA. What steps do I need to take to enter a diversion program?

I live in a small community and have a pretty good name that is sure to be tarnished by this. I don't have a criminal record besides a few traffic tickets. This happened on 7/15. I have plead not guilty and am awaiting a court date. From what I understand I am eligible for a diversion program. Does this need to be filed or worked out before I go to court or is it done when I go to court?

I am also very worried about how this will affect all of my family, from my grand parents to my children. I understand there is no way to keep it out of paper. I would like to know what the paper is going to write and when it will be put out there. Can I find out what and when the information about my arrest will be released to them at the court house?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
R. Patrick Link
R. Patrick Link
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Generally requests to enter a diversion program are made pre-trial. Once you are arrested, that fact becomes public information. If you complete the diversionary program, you can usually then file to have the entire case (including fingerprints, mugshots, witness statements, record of arrest) expunged as if it never happened.

Please read more about Philadelphia diversion programs on my blog - http://linklawphilly.com/diversion-program-options-philadelphia/

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.