Houston, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana

Q: Staying with a renter who allowed me to stay without landlord permission no lease

I am staying with a friend who is renting a home but with no lease or contract, something in that area so pretty much, he was the original renter so I don't pay rent. I only paid one month cause my friend didn't have the money. But the landlord does not write him receipts showing that he pays rent. HE ALSO never asked permission to move me into a room but she wants me out. Since there was no lease or contact or written out receipts, does the landlord have the right to make those people who the original renter allow to stay or does the original renter who actually pays rent absolutely HAVE to make me leave? No intercourse with him at all and we're not related.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Martin Louque Jr
Robert Martin Louque Jr
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If there is no lease that means your friend is on a month to month lease. The landlord cannot physically make your friend remove you from the premises but what the landlord can do is issue a 10 day notice to vacate the premises and if your friend does not leave after the 10 days expires, bring him to court and ask a judge to make him leave.

You do not really need a reason to evict a tenant in a month to month lease other than "i do not want to rent to you anymore."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.