Los Angeles, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Can I hire someone to be my tenants new point person? I'm the landlord, but find them infuriating to deal with.

I'm a landlord for 1 unit in Hollywood, CA. My tenant is on a month to month lease which was originally a year lease that expired.. Although he pays his rent, I believe him to be irrational and very difficult to communicate with. He gives me a problem about everything. I have been unsuccessful communicating with him (and his father who is on the lease, but doesn't live in the unit) regarding setting up inspections, repairs etc. I'm wondering if I can legally hire someone to be their new point person even though I'm on the lease, they pay rent to me and I've dealt w them since he moved in. The representative would send typical communications and be the new point person... I don't have time to deal with them anymore and I just want to hire someone to be their point person.. Can I tell them not to contact me anymore and to from now on go through the new point person for questions, repairs etc?

1 Lawyer Answer
James Joseph Falcone
James Joseph Falcone
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You could hire someone as a property manager; this is a common practice with rental properties. Once the tenants are properly notified, the manager may step in and handle the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.