Bloomfield, CT asked in Probate for Connecticut

Q: My girlfriend needs me to be the fiancé or husband to get her deceased father inheritance?

Can she put her father's inheritance in her bank account instead of mine?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Newtown, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: I am sorry, but your question is not very clear. I don't know of any legal rules regarding a beneficiary of an estate needing to have a fiance or husband in order to received said inheritance. I'm also unsure why there is a question about the money going into her bank account versus yours. If her father left her an inheritance that passes through the probate court process, the court will tell the executor to distribute the money directly to your girlfriend and it would be hers and hers only to put in her bank account. If the inheritance is some sort of life insurance policy passing by beneficiary designation, then the company would let you know who is to receive the money. If he left it to your girlfriend it would be hers to put in her bank account.

Theses are all hypothetical situations, as I cannot tell from your question exactly the situation or what you are asking. I hope this helps a bit but you should consult an attorney regarding your specific situation, or rather, your girlfriend's situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.