Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Juvenile Law and Military Law for Tennessee

Q: Where can a 17 and 15 year old couple run away legally without any trouble?

We don't want it to affect our school or my chance in the marines

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If the question is "where, " then the answer is NEVER. A minor can't give consent. Rather than "run away" perhaps you should try filing a lawsuit asking the Judge to declare you (each of you will have to file separately) "emancipated." In other words, A Judge ( and only a Judge ) can declare that you can be considered an adult, even though you are still under 18. You have to convince the Judge that you are mature enough to take on adult responsibilities ( running away is not a good idea if you plan on convincing him).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.