Waynesburg, PA asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can a joint tenancy with right of survivorship be severed by one party without consent of others in PA law?

My husband owns property under joint tenancy with right of survivorship with his brother and sister. He wants to become a tenant in common so he can leave his assets to his wife when he dies instead of his brother and sister. Can he sever joint tenancy under PA law? If yes , how?? Can he do so without their permission or knowledge?

3 Lawyer Answers

Mark Scoblionko

  • Allentown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: He cannot do so without their consent. He would need to file a formal suit for partition. He needs to consult a lawyer.

Jeff Hughes


A: This can't be done without consent.

Trisha Festerling


A: A formal suit or partition would needed to be filed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.