Sterling, VA asked in Social Security for Virginia

Q: they stop the payment for SSI because I have a saving account which I forget about it. I did an appeal, I need an advice

I am not working now

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: First you can have an account--it just can't have more than $2500 in it. Best bet is to see if you can work out a "spend down"

but first check with legal aid/legal services to see if under your facts you can ask for a "waiver" of the condition of having a bank account.Get a run showing what you had in and when to show the legal aid people.

Jerry Lutkenhaus
Jerry Lutkenhaus
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: With SSI because it is welfare disability, you cannot have income or more than $2,000 in liquid assets. You can spend down this account for necessary medical expenses and then re-apply. Unfortunately, for the period of time you had the account and received SSI checks, you were over-paid and may owe an overpayment. Contacting Legal Aid is a good idea.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.