Thibodaux, LA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: I have joint custody of daughter , ex wife is custodian who just lost home and whole community is devastated by flood.

Her school is closed indefinitely. I went get my daughter out of the flood 5 days ago. She has her own room and comes every other weekend and 7/7 for summer. She asked about the school near my home. I talked to principal and being she is here from a devastated area , our parish is waiving usual paperwork and allowing them to attend. Her mother will not hear of it, she told me that i am not to put her in a school here and that if I do, she will pick her up and take her back to her devastated community. They are currently living with friends because their house is destroyed. What are my rights right now? My child is already traumatized from watching the floodwaters rise in her home before I went there by boat to get her, she had a second home here.

She loves it here and wants some normalcy even if just until her town is rebuilt?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Robert Martin Louque Jr

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: In most cases, a judge is not going to change custody over a natural disaster. If there are other circumstances you may be able to change custody but a judge should not change custody over the current historic flooding because it simply is not the mother's fault. As the domiciliary parent, she has a right to demand you did not put the daughter in school where you live.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.