Louisiana Child Custody Questions & Answers

Q: My husband wants to see if he can get his son from the mother

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Louisiana on
Answered on Feb 15, 2017

He needs to seek the assistance of an attorney that handles custody matters as soon as possible. The longer one takes to assert his rights in such a case, usually the worse the chance of success. Give me a call, toll free, at 866-Doug-Bryan (368-4279) or email me at doug@dougbryanlaw.com if I can be of help.
View Details »

Q: My mother adopted my daughter around 2 years old and stated in the adoption if she passed away before the child turns 18

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Louisiana on
Answered on Feb 15, 2017

I have never seen a provision in a judgment of adoption that the surrendering parent would automatically get the child back if the adopting parent died. She may have put that in her will. Nonetheless, I believe any such provision would only have the force of "suggesting" to the judge that such was her desire. I don't believe it would have any binding effect on the court. Upon your mother's death, anyone could file asking for custody of the child. The standard the judge would use would be...
View Details »

Q: Can an agreement be made through the custodial and non custodial parent for visitation without a lawyer?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Louisiana on
Answered on Jan 18, 2017
View Details »

Q: The court is making me pay my arrears and support on my daughter that made 19 and graduated in 2015. Is the normal?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Employment Law and Family Law for Louisiana on
Answered on Aug 29, 2016

Yes you still have to pay the child support you did not pay before your daughter became an adult. It is owed for the time your ex-wife was taking care of her and not receiving support.

If your children are being taken care of by someone else and they are not adults, you may be able to take your ex-wife to court for custody but you still owe child support until you do that.

It is normal to suspend the drivers license of someone who is behind on child support but they normally...
View Details »

Q: I have joint custody of daughter , ex wife is custodian who just lost home and whole community is devastated by flood.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Louisiana on
Answered on Aug 19, 2016

In most cases, a judge is not going to change custody over a natural disaster. If there are other circumstances you may be able to change custody but a judge should not change custody over the current historic flooding because it simply is not the mother's fault. As the domiciliary parent, she has a right to demand you did not put the daughter in school where you live.
View Details »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.