North Salt Lake, UT asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah

Q: If I was served for child custody and I've been full time taking care of my son and they try to serve me what will happe

And I moved to a different state what is going to happen can they get full custody.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Clinton R. Brimhall
Clinton R. Brimhall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Once you've been served, the court case will go on with or without you if the opposing party pursues it. Thus, moving to another state and ignoring the case after you have been served would be a bad idea. Moving to another state stop the opposing party from serving you or asking the court approve an alternate form of service where you are given notice of the proceedings. If you live in another state and are served, it may be worth raising the issue of whether the court actually has jurisdiction. If possible, it would be ideal for you to consult with an attorney, particularly if a case has been initiated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.