Q: Mom started a suit before passing. neither my sibling nor i knew the lawyer. How do we find out more about it?

My mother lost her battle with cancer. Her previous doctor dismissed it as a growth and nothing more and failed to do any tests. She switched doctors and found out it was cancer and nothing could be done it was too far along. If it had been treated when it was dismissed She wouldve had a high percentage of beating it. She started a lawsuit before passing. Neither my brother nor i knew the lawyer since we both were living states away. Since we were so far away my aunt(moms older sister) had been helping my mom with everything legal and medical. My mom and aunt started not getting along because of aunts greed. My brother moved down shortly before aunt and mom started not getting along so he only helped with her medical stuff. After they started i moved down to help mom wanted to change all paperwork from my aunts name to mine. Shortly after arriving she was hospitalized before changing anything and she didnt come out. My aunt wont speak with us how do i find out about suit?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: As you and brother are the presumptive heirs call up the attorney.See if an estate was opened--you should have been notified. If not you may want to open one which will give you access to records, bank statements etc in case of hanky panky by aunt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.