Columbus, OH asked in Adoption for Ohio

Q: I need advice on adoption

We have had my neice since she has been 4 months old CSPS terminated the order and gave us full custody on 3/21/13 through juvenile court we would like to adopt no visitations from parents in 3 years no court order for visitations she will be 5 in September what do we need to do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas A. Ball
Douglas A. Ball
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Batavia, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It sounds like you have done everything right to this point. In order to adopt, you need to have legal custody for at least a year in most counties. I strongly recommend that you contact an attorney who practices juvenile/probate law in your county. The next steps will require that you file in Probate Court for the adoption. Be sure to have all of the orders, case managers, etc. from your Juvenile case readily available. You will need a certified birth certificate if you do not already have one. Depending on the parents' status, there are multiple avenues that you will have to satisfy with the Court. Best of luck to you!!!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.