New York City, NY asked in Estate Planning for New York

Q: My grandfather left money in trust for his two daughters.

Mom's share of the trust dissolves on my mother's death and then is divided between me and my siblings. Do we have to pay a lot of taxes when that happens? Is there any way to avoid it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sharon M. Siegel
Sharon M. Siegel
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: This depends on what type of tax you are asking about and the values of your inheritance. In any event, you will get a stepped up basis to your mother's eventual date of death. You are wise to consider this now while you have time to plan for it. You and she should sit down with a lawyer and have your mother's trust reviewed, as well as what assets it holds.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.