Greensboro, NC asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina

Q: I just moved to NC in mid-June, my residency ends in March 2017, so I need to file for citizenship by September 2016

I called the US citizenship and I was told I need to reside in NC for 90 days prior to filing citizenship, but by then, my 6 months prior to residency expiring deadline will be past due. what are my options ? Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Franchesco Donovan Fickey Martinez
Franchesco Donovan Fickey Martinez
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Hello Sir or Ma'am, Usually it is best to have a Green Card with 6+ months remaining before you file for citizenship. Some jurisdictions require this, while others may waive it. Naturalization is different from Applying for Lawful Permanent Residence. You should speak with an Immigration Attorney to confirm you are fully eligible and won't be denied for some reason.

Even though you will be "less than 6 months" before your residency expires, you could renew your Green Card. Green Card renewal may take 6 to 10 months to process. USCIS can provide a stamp in your passport if you need to travel or a sticker on your expired Green Card to hold a proof of lawful residence while your renewal is pending.

If you have any questions or concerns, speaking with a local immigration attorney could be helpful. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.