Asked in Divorce, Domestic Violence and Military Law for Alabama

Q: Im in the military and stations in NC but my hometown is in Alabama.

my vehicle is still registered in AL as well. do I still have the chance to file for divorce in AL?

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC

A: Depends on Alabama law. If you OR your spouse have resided in NC for at least 6 months and you have been separated for at least one year, you are likely eligible to file here in NC and it would likely be much less expensive. Our firm handles uncontested divorces for a total of $395 which often works out to be less than you could do it yourself. Feel free to contact us if you have other questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.