Hillsborough, NC asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina

Q: How will my boyfriend from Manila be approved for a B-2 visa?I'm a green card holder and a high school student in the US

My boyfriend and I are planning for him to come here during their summer (April - June) because my 18th birthday is on April (important for Filipinos) and I'll be graduating on June. He will be staying with me and my family. I understand the steps and the process but during the interview, what should my boyfriend tell the officer? Should he say he is visiting his girlfriend or just a friend? I'm confident that his ties to the Philippines are strong. He plays basketball and plans to continue playing until college, will graduate from high school next year (not this year), all his family is there except for his dad who is working in the UK and they can also provide financial statements and what not. What other important details and tips should we know for the interview/the whole process of applying for his visitor visa?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Franchesco Donovan Fickey Martinez
Franchesco Donovan Fickey Martinez
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The most important tip I can give is to be honest to the consular officer. Manila denies over 25% of Tourist (B-2) Visa Applications a year. Be clear that he is visiting a girlfriend and not a mere friend. This fact may lead to a denial, but if the officer arrives at this fact while questioning your Boyfriend, the officer will likely be disagreeable with him. An upset officer usually means a denial.

His family should provide a written statement of financial support. Your Boyfriend should be able to articulate his desire to return to the Philippines, possibly bringing a college acceptance letter or correspondence with a coach. If the officer believes there are insufficient ties to the Philippines, then a denial will likely occur.

Your Family and you can write an invitation for your Boyfriend. If possible, your parents can also state that they will be financially responsible while he is in their home. I believe it looks better to have all parents take financial responsibility to make sure the child has the funds to leave the U.S. As a helpful tip, notarizing the invitation and sending a scanned copy to your Boyfriend looks good.

Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.