Los Angeles, CA asked in Estate Planning for California

Q: How much money can my mother give her children before she dies before some kind of tax or penalty kicks in?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheri Lynn Hoffman
Sheri Lynn Hoffman
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Folsom, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Your mother can give any individual person up to $14,000 in any calendar year without having to report the gift to the IRS - meaning no 709 gift tax return to be filed and no gift tax to be paid for up to that amount. If she gives more than the $14,000 in any calendar year, she will have to report the gift and pay the appropriate tax.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.