Asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Massachusetts

Q: My company did not follow procedure And had me work on blocking That was contaminated With asbestos. What should I do.

2 Lawyer Answers
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Make sure you find out who made the asbestos--if you can safely get a sample do that. You need to consult an attorney who handles workplace injuries and is a member of the Mass Academy of Trial Lawyers--they give free consults.

A: You cannot take legal action to recover financial compensation for asbestos exposure unless you develop a serious disease like lung cancer or mesothelioma following the incident. Since cases involving asbestos exposure are personal injury cases, there can be no legal recourse if a personal injury did not occur. It is also important to note that asbestos exposure results in a disease within 10 to 50 years, never immediately. Therefore, you can neither request worker’s compensation, nor file a claim with asbestos trust funds or a personal injury lawsuit. As for your employer not complying with workplace safety regulations, you should discuss the matter with an employment lawyer, as they will certainly be able to help you more.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.