Miami, FL asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Rights and Environmental for Florida

Q: My neighbor is flooding my land!

I bought a property a few years ago to build a home on, i noticed it has a problem with the drainage and it didnt take long to realize my neighbor blocked off the ditch, he did this cause he owns grazing land on the west and south side if my property, so instead of installing a culvert he just threw some dirt in the ditch to drive across. Now its backing water onto my property. The water is to flow south towards a creek and eventually end up in the river. So the county comes out and tells me what i already know that water is supposed to flow South but they dont have an easement to clean the ditch, then the state (South West Florida water mgmt.) comes out and tells me the same thing. The state says "he cant just block water flow like that" . The state tells me they will contact the owner and take care of it. A week later they say sorry the owner wont let us on his property. So im prettt much S.O.L. isnt there any goverment official that can help? Who should i contact?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, there is a government official you can contact: a judge. In other words, you have to file a lawsuit.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.