Dover, DE asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Delaware

Q: My sons HS band teacher makes them stay in the heat for hours w/no breaks. Is there a law regarding this issue?

My son is in the band at a local high school. During the summer they have band camp. He will make them march, in the heat, for hours with no breaks. If one of them makes a remark about the heat, he tells them, "It's not that bad." If they do take a break he berates them. I find this dangerous and highly unethical. Him and several other kids have gotten sick, some have nearly passed out, yet he pushes them. There are child labor laws; are there laws protecting these kids regarding this issue?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: As the band camp is technically an option it should be covered by education law parameters governing school sports.

Perhaps the band director needs to attend scout leader training or training for any other youth activitiy. You can ask the department of education or whoever regulates sports.

Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Plymouth, IN

A: The band director is under the authority of the local school administration. Contact the principal or the school board. If a student were to be seriously injured because of the band director's negligence, the schools would be exposed to liability. I am sure they (and the taxpayers) would not want that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.