Lindenhurst, NY asked in Personal Injury and Education Law for New Jersey

Q: With doctor's notes my son's(spec. ed.) HS won't continue his home instruction. PTSD dx due to drug overdose at school

I am submitting another note today. Michael sees a child psychologist weekly. School wants our son to see psychriatrist, and we don't want this. Please advise. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Hard to answer without knowing your son's diagnosis. Cuggest you contact the Education Law Center in Philadelphia --they would at least know a similar organization in NJ and could perhaps give you an outline of what the Department Of Education regs require. If you haven't explored why they want your son to see a psychiatrist you may want to find out in more detail--there may be a way of accomodating their needs.

As to PTSD, you may want to consider asking his psychologist if they do EMDR therapy, which is remarkably good for PtSd>

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.