Madison, WI asked in Adoption and Immigration Law for Wisconsin

Q: I have questions about filling out Form N-600 for my 23 year old daughter who is adopted. Should I consult a lawyer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew J Hartnett
Matthew J Hartnett
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: Yes, because you only get one crack at the N-600... meaning if you file it and it gets denied, you won't be able to re-file. Consider working with an immigration attorney to properly prepare the n-600. Another option is to first file to obtain a US passport for your daughter (assuming you believe she is a US citizen), and then the N-600 after obtaining the passport. Have you tried this yet? I would recommend at least discussing with an attorney prior to taking either of these steps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.