Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Adoption legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Wisconsin Adoption Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Wisconsin on
Q: Pregnant help

My 16 old

Son at this time and his 17 yr old gf pregnant when baby born she will be 18 he will be 17 lives in two differ

States him wisconsin her Minnesota if she places the baby for adoption does he have right to keep him or are his rights nothing

Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
answered on Dec 4, 2022

This would be subject to the law of Minnesota if the child reisdes in that state once born. To place the child for adoption, the Court would need to terminate the parental rights of both parents. The biological father should file a paternity action once the child is born and request that he have... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Wisconsin on
Q: How does a father sign over his rights?

My ex hasn't physically seen our son in over 2 years, and is nearing the 6 months mark of not even talking to him. He called me the other day and said that he would sign away his rights so that my current fiance could adopt our son.

I have no idea what paperwork needs to be filled... View More

Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
answered on Dec 22, 2021

It is not a matter of simply signing over one's rights. You and your fiance will need to first be married prior to his ability to adopt. Then, there would be a need for both of you to cooperate with a custody study with an adoption agency. Once that is completed, you would need to file a... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Immigration Law for Wisconsin on
Q: I have questions about filling out Form N-600 for my 23 year old daughter who is adopted. Should I consult a lawyer?
Matthew J Hartnett
Matthew J Hartnett
answered on Sep 29, 2016

Yes, because you only get one crack at the N-600... meaning if you file it and it gets denied, you won't be able to re-file. Consider working with an immigration attorney to properly prepare the n-600. Another option is to first file to obtain a US passport for your daughter (assuming you... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.