Asked in Bankruptcy and Tax Law for Indiana

Q: Unreported income 2012/ bankruptcy

I'm in a chapter 13. end of my 2nd year and have paid $30,000 apx.

I did not turn over my tax return or refunds to the trustee.

According to my lawyer, its going to be okay. I had to turn over copies of my 2014 and 2015 taxes. They said the money would be worked into the plan.

Problem is that I have to get a copy of my state IT40 from the irs. Still not a big deal.

This situation may have opened a can of worms because my lawyer called and said they needed an affidavit signed stating that my wife had no income that year because i filed as head of household. I made a huge mistake and didn't report 12,000$ of income my wife earned in 2012 and I never ammeneded or heard from the irs. Now I'm afraid that the irs is somehow infiltrating my situation and trying to bind us legally with an affidavit. So, I don't know how to go about this. I'm thinking the 3 year statue of limitations may apply but I also know that the irs often plays by

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
  • Plymouth, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Your attorney has a confidential relationship with you. Contact him concerning your tax issues. Do not make a false affidavit, as that would be perjury.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.