Q: I am married and have been for 12 1/2 years. I got pregnant by a man who came to the US illegally. We got a house togeth

He was abusive and left when i was 6 1/2 months pregnant and on bed rest. The rent was due and no food in the house. I had my son 5 weeks early. I tried to contact him. My son stayed hospitalized for 3 weeks. I tried to contact him. His sister told me it wasnt his problem that he moved back to Mexico. I was affraid and didnt know what to do. My husband stepped up and has provided and helped with all my sons needs including medical. Even when my sons father was here he wasnt active in my pregnacy. He would not help with medical or help me with gething my prenatal vitamins and iron. He has made no attemp to see my son. In fact i havent seen or heard from him since he left even despite of my several attempst to contact him for help. My son son is 4 1/2 months now, and I fecieved a paternity action. My husband has assumed all responsibility and care for my son. What are our rights? Can this man get paternity after he would not help and my husband has dine paid medical and provided every

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • South Bend, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: I don't understand why an illegal would seek paternity. Contact a family lawyer and fight it. Your husband is presumed to be the father because you had your child during your marriage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.