Denver, CO asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Colorado

Q: I have probate/estate questions.

When I was (1994) 16 my mother died. My dad was still alive at the time. My stepdad got me to sign something to keep her estate out of probate. He said he would give me my portion of my inherentence when

I got to college. I tried to call him he ignored me.

He also kept the house. My mom put the down payment on the house.  I know her name was on the deed I dont know if his was. He still lives in the house.

Was his permission to sign the document legal, since my dad was alive?

Can we sue for the house or money?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John R Phillips
John R Phillips
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Centennial, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: There is a lot of missing details that are needed to help you. Without knowing what you signed and how the house was titled there is no way of knowing if what was done was legal. I would recommend you sit down with and attorney and bring all the documentation you have. We see the results of having no estate planning done cause hardship and assets going where they were not intended.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.