Mountain Home, AR asked in Collections and Contracts for Arkansas

Q: I was wondering if I can get money back I barrowed to a friend? I'm not sure what type of lawyer I would need.

I also have a letter from friend stating I would be paid back in full. Now, my friend won't even take my calls.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Don Spears
Don Spears
  • Benton, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: If the sum is not really large, you may be able to file in small claims court in your city or county. Hopefully, you have some evidence that the money was given and there was an intention of paying it back. You should contact a local attorney so that he can go over what evidence of the debt you have and discuss with him what your chances are of getting the funds returned. Many attorneys charge a nominal fee for a consultation of this type.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.