Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arkansas Collections Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Collections, Elder Law and Probate for Arkansas on
Q: My grandfather passed away last year. My mother is executor of his estate. My grandmother is alive. He had a will.

I was supposed to receive an inheritance. My mother claims that I cannot receive that until my grandmother passes away. My brother received a new truck and boat that I’m aware of. Is she lying to me ? I have a distant relationship with my mom, but it just seems as though she is flat out lying to... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Nov 26, 2021

You can take a look at the will yourself. Go to the probate court and request a copy.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Collections and Landlord - Tenant for Arkansas on
Q: If you signed a 12 month lease, and at the end of the 12 months you moved completely out and notified your landlord the

Last day of your contract that you are not going to sign another lease, can they still penalize you? What’s the point of signing a contract for X amount of months if you have to tell them that you were going to terminate the lease on the day that you already signed and agreed to terminate the lease?

Dustin A. Duke
Dustin A. Duke answered on Sep 2, 2021

It depends on what your lease says. If the lease is silent as to any notice requirements before moving out, you are perfectly within your rights to move out the last day of the lease and are under no further obligation to your landlord. However, if the lease requires a notice prior to moving out,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Arkansas on
Q: Are my husbands assets safe if I have a judgement against me? We own nothing together. Arkansas.

If have a car insurance subrogation judgement against me, can that affect my husband wages or home? We own nothing together. Everything is in his name, except the car I was driving that day. We don’t even share a bank account.

I have no job, or assets of any kind, so it’s unclear what... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Dec 3, 2020

Yes. His assets are safe.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Divorce and Collections for Arkansas on
Q: Can a vehicle loan company sue me?

A vehicle loan company on a vehicle that was obtained during my marriage is trying to sue me (has filed a civil suit) for amount owed on the vehicle, that vehicle has been repossessed. I have since gotten a divorce and in the divorce decree it states that the plaintiff, who is my now ex-husband,... Read more »

Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera answered on Jul 28, 2020

Usually the court order regarding distribution of assets and liabilities is not binding on your creditors. You can contact the lending company and provide them with a copy of the court order and they may, if they so wish, attempt to collect only from your husband, but they are not required to do... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law, Collections and Probate for Arkansas on
Q: How do I pay my deceased mom's debts?

My mom recently passed and I don't have the money pay her debts until/unless I can sell her house. I know her estate is fits within the guidelines of a small estate. I have 3 other siblings too. I'm just not sure of the process in Arkansas.

Brandon M Haubert
Brandon M Haubert answered on Aug 28, 2019

You most likely need to speak to a lawyer. Even if the house fits, you may have issues with title once you try to sell. A lot of title companies will require the house to be probated even if it fits within the small estate guidelines.

You should speak to a lawyer about the debts owed and...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Collections for Arkansas on
Q: We need help understanding Arkansas Code 26-36-301 as it applies to our specific situation.

We are on a payment plan to the University of Arkansas for an amount that was overpaid to my husband during his employment at the UofA. We’ve received notification that this debt will be collected in its entirety from our tax refund (should we get one) regardless of the fact that we have a steady... Read more »

Chad Silver
Chad Silver answered on Nov 16, 2018

If there was judgment on the balance owed against you it would be very difficult and costly to dispute. The smartest way to handle that would be good tax planning to ensure you have no refund coming back at the end of the year for the creditor to intercept. If you can ensure the tax withholding... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI, Traffic Tickets and Collections for Arkansas on
Q: What can you do if you can't pay your fines

I live in Missouri now but in 2011 I was living in Hot Springs AR, I got a public intoxication charge and never paid the fine. Now they have a hold on my drivers license so I can't get reinstated but I am eligible for reinstatement in MO, I have not had a DL since 2008/9 because I had a dui... Read more »

W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman answered on Sep 27, 2018

If you hire an attorney they may be able to lift the warrant for you.

I recommend Shane Ethridge in that area.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Collections for Arkansas on
Q: can an insurance co trying to collect for what they paid in uninsured motorist policy suspend DL of person responsible

I was charged with no insurance in another persons vehicle due to an accident I was responsible for. The damaged vehicle was covered by their uninsured policy. Nationwide Insurance collection calls every theee months to say my DL will be suspended if I do not pay for damage. Is this possible?... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 21, 2018

In most states the answer is yes. Assuming you were responsible, you want to consider looking at the damage evaluation and figuring out a payment plan. Or you can consult a bankruptcy attorney but the interesting point is I've heard of cases where the debt is erased but because of the way the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Arkansas on
Q: If a judgement has been placed against someone and the person does not work what happens?

A judgement has been placed against me from a nursing home. The want my bank information, my car information, what I own (which I do not own any property other than my car), and what is property that is exempt. I am a full time college student and my husband is the only income we have. My dad was... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 9, 2018

If you don’t work and don’t have any income, it is very difficult for them to take anything from you.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Collections, Constitutional Law and Public Benefits for Arkansas on
Q: Someone wrote a book about my life and crime. It's even titled after me. I didn't consent.

Can I get compensated for them using me in a story it label me ignorant and poor.

John Espinosa
John Espinosa answered on May 28, 2018

This question doesn't belong in any of these categories. You may have a civil cause of action for defamation. You should consult with a litigation attorney who specializes in defamation. Here is some more information about defamation:... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Divorce and Collections for Arkansas on
Q: My daughter is getting divorced her car is in husband's name only. is she responsible for the balance if she returns car

The car my daughter is currently driving is financed in her soon-to-be ex-husband's name only. At one point the vehicle was paid off and without her knowledge he refinanced both her car and his truck for purposes of generating capital. The bank has threatened to repossess the car if she does... Read more »

Stefan K. McBride
Stefan K. McBride answered on Jun 5, 2017

Arkansas is not a community property state, but that doesn't change the answer to your question. If her name is not on the car note, she cannot be held responsible for that debt unless the divorce judge makes her responsible. Even in that case, the only person the financing company can come... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Arkansas on
Q: Can my vehicle be taken by credit card company due to default judgement against me?

I have a default judgement against me from the credit card company, Discover.

I am filling out a schedule of assets.

The only thing I own is my vehicle.

Can it be taken from me?

Brandon M Haubert
Brandon M Haubert answered on May 23, 2017

You can claim some of your property as exempt from judgment creditors. If your property is does not fall with the judgment creditor exemption, then you may want to file bankruptcy to protect it. In either case, you may want to talk to a lawyer about your situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Collections and Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: I need a attorney to file a lis pendens for me.

I received a judgement against my husband in divorce for $17,000.i filed it with the county clerk so that if he sold any property it would show up like a lien. He did a quick claim title over to another guy for a house he owned. I want my money and want to file a lis pendens so that nothing can be... Read more »

Brandon M Haubert
Brandon M Haubert answered on May 22, 2017

You need to contact an attorney and send him all the paperwork to look over. Then they can help you.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Contracts for Arkansas on
Q: I was wondering if I can get money back I barrowed to a friend? I'm not sure what type of lawyer I would need.

I also have a letter from friend stating I would be paid back in full. Now, my friend won't even take my calls.

Don Spears
Don Spears answered on Nov 10, 2016

If the sum is not really large, you may be able to file in small claims court in your city or county. Hopefully, you have some evidence that the money was given and there was an intention of paying it back. You should contact a local attorney so that he can go over what evidence of the debt you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections, Consumer Law and Car Accidents for Arkansas on
Q: If insurance allotted $12,500 to fix my damaged car & it only cost $4,000 to repair, can my bank keep the excess money?

This is in the state of Arkansas. The bank I have my car loan through took the excess money ($8500) my car insurance company gave me and applied it to my remaining car loan balance. Is that legal?

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Nov 11, 2015

Check the loan paperwork.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Arkansas on
Q: Are they past the statute of limitations?

I just got a call from a "collection agency" that said that I owed $888 for a credit card from 2003 that I had allegedly been paying until 2010? I don't remember it and don't have any records. They would not provide me any other details. Do I need to worry? Do I need a lawyer?

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Nov 1, 2015

It looks like there is a 5 year SOL on contracts in Arkansas:

It is always best to at least have a full discussion with a local lawyer when you have legal questions and problems.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.