Shakopee, MN asked in Small Claims for Minnesota

Q: small claims question with documents

my ex borrowed about 5000 from me. After we broke up he was nice enough to sign a document that he would pay it back. it has been two months and he hasn't paid me at all and wont respond. The document has no witnesses but it has a electronic signature and a written one from each of us. we live in Minnesota. if i go to small claims court and show these documents can i easily win? would i get the full amount immediately or would it be slowly garnished from his checks?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi
  • Mankato, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: If you are successful in court, you will get a judgment. There are different ways you can try to collect on that judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.