Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Minnesota Small Claims Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Minnesota on
Q: I totally forgot about a court date, now a bench warrant is issued... can I go pay it, or do I have to get booked

The ticket was quite awhile ago and I didn’t receive anything in the mail, which the officer did tell me (that I would hear from him within a couple days) and I didn’t... anyway can I just go pay the ticket?

William Bailey
William Bailey answered on Apr 8, 2021

It depends. You might be able to and you might have to appear. An attorney could help you sort this out.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Small Claims for Minnesota on
Q: How long can the government keep my property that was seized outside the scope of their action?

I sent a part for my car to a shop in another state to be repaired. This part is a critical component that makes my car inoperable in its absence. While my part was in the repair facility, the police ordered the business closed due to their failure to pay a judgement on a civil suit brought by a... Read more »

William Bailey
William Bailey answered on Jan 5, 2021

Have you contacted law enforcement to see about recovering your property? I would suggest that as a first step.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Communications Law and Small Claims for Minnesota on
Q: I hired a newborn photographer and the pictures came out horrible I would like a refund. What can I do next.

This started back in July of this year. We went to the photographers address and did the photo shoot. It took her close to a month to send me proofs to select which photos I liked. I would send her several emails asking what the time line of when she would have the photos ready. I would receive a... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Oct 14, 2020

Small claims/conciliation time it seems.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Minnesota on
Q: Am I liable for cost of pet damage to carpet at pet-sitters house?

I needed to visit my mom at a hospital away from home where she was staying for ~2 weeks. My friend lives in that town and said I could bring my dog to her apartment. My dog has never caused damage previously to an apartment. He stayed there for two days without any issues. On the third day my... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 24, 2020

A Minnesota attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. It's unlikely the complex will come after you; they will likely come after your friend. It might be seen as much a personal decision involving a friendship as it is a legal one - taking into consideration... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Minnesota on
Q: We bought a house with water damage, had an inspection but it either missed it or it wasn’t present. What can we do?

The ceiling in the downstairs bathroom had a leak. Neither is, our realtor and our inspector saw this leak. We had the inspection in May and in July we moved in due to the current owners preference. They are refusing any compensation and I cannot prove they knew about the leak. We noticed the... Read more »

Mark William Perron
Mark William Perron answered on Apr 27, 2020

First, with regard to the inspector, you would need to look at the agreement and see if there is any language that limits the company's exposure. If there is nothing in there and the leak was obvious as to where the inspector should have known about it, you could bring a civil claim against... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Minnesota on
Q: What are reasons to challenge a vehicle forfeiture?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 12, 2020

This is something that a criminal defense attorney could be more knowledgeable about than an attorney handling small claims cases. You could try reposting in the Criminal Law section. Not all questions are ultimately answered, but your post remains open for three weeks and it might stand better... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Collections, Intellectual Property and Small Claims for Minnesota on
Q: Best way to go about this

I bought my stepmom car for 2000.. and today she showed up with the police claiming that I never paid her anything and she wants the car back. She had the car towed off my property...

I have text messages from her saying the price of the car, me giving her mom, and are agreement... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jan 5, 2020

consult a local attorney, you can try this in small claims depending on your jurisdiction

make sure you have all documented and printed for presenting to the court

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Contracts and Collections for Minnesota on
Q: I recently co-signed an auto loan for a friend who promised to make payments. Now he has refused to make payment but

Lied about making payment. The bank just contacted me and I've tried several times to reach the borrower but he refused to respond to my messages, emails or answer/return any of my calls. I can't afford to make payments as am struggling to care for my child as a single parent. The... Read more »

Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Sep 27, 2018

If you co-signed, then you are likely responsible just as equally as your so-called friend. Your options may include refinancing, forbearance, taking out another loan to pay this back, borrowing money to pay it off, etc. You will find many resources, blog posts, AG articles, and the like... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims and Consumer Law for Minnesota on
Q: false advertising or bait and switch?

I got a promo code from amazon for $100 off a monitor on a link they provided. There are 4 monitors shown but one of the monitors shown isn't one that promo actually works on because it isnt sold directly through amazon. Amazons model cost more and after the rebate is applied is only actually... Read more »

Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Sep 27, 2018

Sounds like a lot of work for a potential $23 claim. Reach out to customer service?

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Small Claims for Minnesota on
Q: Hi I have a question. So I was involved with this guy I moved in with after he pushed for it. He stole & used me

Hi I have a question. So I was involved with this guy I moved in with after he pushed for it. He stole from me, pawned a bunch my stuff. Computers, x box, TVs, and wii and various others. So he went back to Mi for few weeks and was forging my checks. I found out let him back because he says he was... Read more »

Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson answered on Mar 13, 2018

What he did was a crime, not a civil matter. You should report the matter to the local authorities and there is a process called restitution that will require him to pay back the money that he stole.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Minnesota on
Q: Is there a length of time u can take a ex gf to small claims court over money that I feel she owes me?
Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Jul 24, 2017

Yes, it is called a "statute of limitations" and the amount of time varies based on the claim.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Minnesota on
Q: small claims question with documents

my ex borrowed about 5000 from me. After we broke up he was nice enough to sign a document that he would pay it back. it has been two months and he hasn't paid me at all and wont respond. The document has no witnesses but it has a electronic signature and a written one from each of us. we live... Read more »

Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Oct 13, 2016

If you are successful in court, you will get a judgment. There are different ways you can try to collect on that judgment.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Minnesota on
Q: When a chnge of Venue is ordered what happens? Do you start over?
Robert Douglas Kane Jr
Robert Douglas Kane Jr answered on Jan 5, 2011

If it was ruled improper venue then it would probably dismissed without prejudice and you would probably have to file anew with the correct court. If it is a change of venue the court would probably transfer everyhting to the new court and it would pick up from where it left off. Either way you... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.