Imperial, MO asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Missouri

Q: Is this libel?

My ex filed a petition for modification of a final judgement seeking sole custody and the temporary and permanent removal of my parental rights concerning our minor child in Oct 2015. He and his lawyer concocted a 3 page petition, knowing that everything was false, the information having stemmed from a person that admitted in a Florida court that he was an alcoholic, a liar, and had spent 7 months obsessed with destroying my life. That stated that I was a porn star, mentally ill and numerous other untrue allegations and/or statements with the goal to prejudice the court and damage my reputation. From the date they filed this petition, until the present they have provided zero proof to the statements.

My legal residence was Missouri at the time the petition was filed and served to me in Missouri in December. The Petition has been filed in Florida and will ultimately be public record.

1. Would this be considered libel?

2. Can I file in MO?

3. Can I include his lawyer in the suit?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Generally in court statements aren't subject to libel as it's presumed the court system has ways of dealing with this (perjury, subornation of perjury, etc). Discuss with your lawyer. Enjoy --if you are correct it can only damage their case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.