Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah

Q: What are my options?

My son's father has never met, spoken to, or been involved with our son. Very rarely pays a small amount of child support (I have a child support case open). He participated in paternity testing, and it's proven he's the father. My son is 2 and his father has moved to 2 different states since he has been born. He has never provided me with his address or phone number since the birth of my son. What options do I have? I'm single, so I don't know if I can legally have him sign away his rights.

Also, he is married and it's becoming pretty clear that his wife is pushing him to keep running from his parental obligations to my child. They also have children together. I've tried to keep communication open, but have found that very difficult due to his wife getting involved and causing a fight every time. Even when we are getting along, she jumps in and causes a fight. Are there any charges that can be filed for her involvement in the loss of the potential child/parent relationship?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian K Jackson
Brian K Jackson
  • Bountiful, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Yes there are a few things you can do. Also, if you were never married would help determine how hard or easy the process will ne.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.