Marietta, GA asked in Nursing Home Abuse and Wrongful Death for Georgia

Q: Can I file a nursing home case if my mother has POA of my fathers affairs? I have found serious neglect.

My father has been in a nursing home in Atlanta for Alzheimers and the family was called on yesterday because he has had a fever over 100 degrees for a couple of days now and they felt that he was transitioning. I went on yesterday and I found him in very bad shape. He was very very thin and his ribs were protruding. He had a large sore on his jaw so I opened his mouth and found his mouth was filled with sores/ulcers bleeding...all the way down his throat. They said that he had not been eating...he couldn't have possibly been able to. A staff member that I spoke with stated that it was a bad case of neglect...I already know this, but my mother has POA over my father and just wants to have him buried. I can't just do this.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Contact a member of the Ga. Trial Lawyers Assn. They give free consultations. Look for one that handles nursing home issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.