Warrington, PA asked in Legal Malpractice for Pennsylvania

Q: Can the lawyer change the percentage to 40% after you already signed for 33%?

Hi I had a lawyer in the beginning of my casea who made me sign an agreement for them to take 33% of my settlement once done. He got sick and had another lawyer take over the case and she is not charging 40% plus 5000 in court fees. I have a friend who is a paralegal and says this is wrong and that it should all be included in the 33% that we originally signed for.... she is trying to get over on us...is this true?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The new lawyer should have had a new fee agreement. If they didn't they are bound by the old. You should get an itemized statement of costs. Generally, unless you are Limited Tort in a car crash case, standard fee is 33%.

If you can't work it out with the lawyer, contact the fee dispute resolution committee of your county's bar association.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.