Coxsackie, NY asked in Wrongful Death and Small Claims for New York

Q: Can I seek interest, emotional damages, filing fees along with money owed to me in small claims court, NYS?

I have copy of check that indicates on check borrowed money to be paid back in a couple of days, have his signature of cashing the check for $990.00. Can I sue interest for not paying since this check was cashed in 2012, along with filing fees and emotional damages? Suing him in the town he resides which is Red Hook, NY so small claims is in the Town of Milan NY Court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: You may sue him I believe statute of limitations in NY is 6 years. But don't wait any longer--do it now. You need to sue him where the payment was made, or where he lives now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.